- About Nogales
- Business Information
- Visit Nogales
- Economic Development
- Office of the Mayor
- City Manager
- City Clerk
- City Court
- City Attorney
- Fire Department
- Human Resources
- Police Department
- Parks and Recreation
- Housing Authority
- Development Services
- Animal Control
- Federal Government
- State Government
- Santa Cruz County
- Community Organizations
Past Police Chiefs
History of the Chief of Police, Nogales, Arizona.
Derek K. Arnson
Jeffery S. Kirkham
2010 - 2012
The New Nogales City Hall Building on North Grand Avenue was built in 1978.
Nogales City Charter was adopted under Mayor Duane Bird in 1926.
The old City Hall in Nogales was built in 1914, a year before Arizona became a State. It was used as the Office of the Mayor, the Sheriff's Office with two holding cells, and the Fire Department Station. The city hall cornerstone was laid on November 19, 1912 by Captain L. W. Mix, father of the Nogales Fire Department.
Marshal Cornelious O'Keefe 1911 - 1912
On February 14, 1912, "Arizona Territory" became the "State of Arizona" being the 48th State in the Union.
Sheriff Harry J. Saxon 1907 - 1911
Marshal Charles L. Fowler 1909 - 1910
US and Mexican Governments agree to fence border as a "deterrent to outlawry". The construction of the fence began during the calendar year 1910 unknown exact date.
Sheriff Charles L. Fowler 1905 - 1906
Sheriff Tom H. Turner 1902 - 1904
By an act of Congress on January 5, 1902, Santa Cruz County was authorized to issue bonds for $35,000 for the construction of a courthouse and a jail. On January 23, 1902 the board of supervisors met to consider this authorization. Lot 18, Block 16, Nogales, was purchased from Anton Proto for $2,000. To raise the money for the purchases of the new courthouse site the board sold part of Block 27 and Lot 1 of Block 17, at an auction on August 4, 1902, for $2,390.95 The bid of James Vandevort for the construction of the courthouse was accepted and on November 17, 1902, a contract was let to Mr. Vandevort for $28,280, but a bid of the Pauly Jail Building Company for 4 jail cells at $4,761 was accepted on August 23, 1902.
The 1904 the Santa Cruz County Court House was completed.
The Arizona Rangers was an Arizona law enforcement agency modeled on the Texas Rangers. The Arizona Rangers were created by the Arizona Territorial Legislature in 1901, disbanded in 1909, and were subsequently reformed in 1957. They were created to deal with the infestations of outlaws, especially rustlers, in the sparsely populated Territory of Arizona, especially along the Mexican border. The Rangers were an elite, well-trained, and secretive agency mounted on the best horses money could buy and well equipped with modern weapons at State expense. They were very effective in apprehending members of outlaw bands, often surprising them by descending on them without warning.
Sheriff Thomas F. Brodrick 1899 - 1900
After amendment and subsequent defeat of the Papago County bill, Mr. Stevens sponsored a substitute bill, House Bill 108, on March 4, 1899, for the creation of Santa Cruz County. Hastily prepared, the bill passed the house and council and was signed by Governor N. O. Murphy on March 15, 1899.On March 15, 1899 Nogalians formed Santa Cruz County, therefore separating from Pima County.
In 1899 at the time of the creation of the county the Board of Supervisors called for bids for quarters to be occupied by the county government. On March 25 a three years lease for one hundred dollars per month was drawn up in favor of George B. Marsh for the county use of a suite of twelve rooms and space for a jail. The theater building was provided for the purpose of holding sessions of the district court. On August 25, Ramon Vasques’ bid of $590 was accepted for the building of a jail. Realizing the value of the county records, the board on January 9, 1900 placed and order in the amount of $299 for a fireproof safe for the care of such records.
Pima County Sheriff W.H. Barnett 1899 - ????
Pima County Sheriff Robert N. Leatherwood 1895 -1898
Pima County Sheriff Joseph B. Scott 1893 - 1894
On July 21, 1893, the Pima County Board of Supervisors, upon consideration of a petition from two-thirds of the citizens and taxpayers of Nogales, incorporated the municipality of Nogales. This action was rescinded on the following day when the Board of Supervisor received many telegrams from citizens of Nogales who had been prevented from attending the hearing by flood waters in the Santa Cruz River. The town was again incorporated on July 22, and a town council composed of Theodore Gebler, James B. Mix, Antonio Proto, George B. Marsh, and Edward B. Hogan were appointed to serve until their successors were elected.
July 21, 1893 Nogales Incorporated as a City; Pima County supervisors appointed a council.
Nogales City Council appointed James B. Mix as the first Mayor of Nogales.
Pima County Sheriff James K. Brown 1891 - 1892
Pima County Sheriff Mathew F. Shaw Sr. 1887 - 1891
Pima County Sheriff Eugene O. Shaw 1886 - 1887
Pima County Sheriff Robert H. Paul 1881 - 1886
Geronimo last rampage kills A.L. Peck’s wife and child: Peck survives, opens livery stable in Nogales 1886
US Post Office called “Issacson” established in May 1882
Jacob Issacson builds a trading post in “Nogales pass” 1880
Pima County Sheriff Charles Alexander Shibeil 1877-1880
Pima County Sheriff William Sanders Oury 1873-1876
Pima County Sheriff Charles Hylor Ott 1870-1872
Pima County Sheriff Peter Rainsford Brady 1876-1869
Pima County Sheriff Francis Hodges 1865-1866
Pima County Sheriff Berry Hill de Armitt 1864-1865
Charles Poston of Tubac, causes Pres. Lincoln to create Arizona Territory,
Feb 14, 1862
The Territory of Arizonawas an organized territoryof the United Statesthat existed between 1863 and 1912. A forerunner, almost identical in name but largely differing in location and size, was the Confederate Territory of Arizona(CSA) that existed officially from 1861 to 1863, when it was re-captured by the U.S., after which the Union created in 1863 their Territory of Arizona.
CSA President Jefferson Davis declares “territory of Arizona” part of the Confederacy 1862
Pete Kitchen leaves Magdalena to settle “El Potrero” Ranch and begins first US-Mexican trade 1862
Without US Army, Apache uprisings drive settlers out of Santa Cruz Valley 1861
Major Wm Emory surveys to establish border, at site of Nogales, June 1855 meets with local Indians1855
Mexican War veteran, quartermaster Pete Kitchen moves to Canoa to feed miners 1854
US purchases land south of Gila River, “Gadsden Purchase” from Mexico for $10 Million 1853
An old settlement first known as "Line City", then "Isaactown", after the owner of one of its saloons, "according to McClintock. Land grant on which town stood was owned by a Topeka Cattle Company, with Isaac N. town, citizen, politician, and stockman, as president and general manager. Nogales was the name agreed upon in 1882. Nogales, means, 'walnut trees'. First settlers say stream was lined with these trees. When Santa Cruz County was created, Nogales became county seat. Emory, with US Boundary Commission, held a conference here with Indians June 26, 1853. Morley Avenue, the main street in Nogales, was named after William R. Morley, chief engineer, A.T. &SFRR. PO est. October 29, 1897.
The name Nogales predates the arrival of the Gadsen Purchase Boundary Survey party. In his report Lt. N. Michler speaks of visiting the commissioner in the "pretty little valley of Los Nogales," saying that the camp was near Los Nogales itself. On July 21, 1855 newspapers reported that the American and Mexican Boundary Commissions were encamped permanently in Los Nogales, eight miles from Calabasas on the road to Magdalena, Mexico.
The official name for the camp was Monument. To eliminate any further doubt about this location, the Weekly Arizonan(April 21, 1859) may be quoted "Monument or Nogales Rancho." Nogales Ranch was in Nogales Pass through which the railroad would later lay rails beside Nogales Wash.
The ranch was a stage station and livestock center. On the Williamson-Robert map of 1868 it was called Dos Nogales and lies on the border adjoining the route from Tubac south into Mexico.
In the late 1870s, plans were completed for the railroad to be built northward from Guaymas to the border and southward in the United States with the two to meet at Nogales Pass. A rush started as people tried to be part of what was expected to be a border boom town.
At first Calabasas was so envisioned. Many went there but a few others went a little further south. Among them was Jacob Isaacson (Dec. 9, 1853), an itinerant peddler who for the preceding five years had moved around in Arizona. He constructed a small store and warehouse straddling the international boundary line. A small settlement of tents, rude shacks and adobe rose around his store. The budding settlement was called Isaactown. Two years after Isaacson arrived, he helped as the final silver spike for the railroad was driven home.
Meanwhile, an adjacent community known as Line City was developing on the international boundary and the railroad line. Mexicans called the location of Villa Riva. Apparently no one believed that Line City should be a permanent name, for the citizens were asked to select a name. As the railroad station was called Nogales, the citizens petitioned to have the post office name changed from Isaactown to Nogales. With the railroad work completed, a business lull fell on the small border community and Isaacson, a business man to his marrow, moved on to Mexico City. He died in Detroit. Arizonans refer to the twin cities of Nogales as Los dos Nogales ("the two Nogales"). From its beginning as a box car road station and a community of one or two stores, tents and a few mud huts, Los dos Nogales have grown into large, prosperous attractive cities. Nogales, Arizona, is the county seat for Santa Cruz County. Post Office was established as Isaactown, May 31, 1882, Jacob Isaacson. Name changed to Nogales June 4, 1883.
In researching the history, these names were mentioned in conversations with citizen’s but no literature or supporting documents could be found on these subjects. Kelso Street, Lon Parker, Titcomb, Tom Cummings.
Reseach by, Captain Heriberto Zuniga