A SIMPLE painted sign on a wooden board — “To Mexico ” — was propped near the door in the fence, but it was the fence itself that fascinated me. Some masterpieces are unintentional, the result of a freakish accident or an explosive act of sheer weirdness, and the fence that divides Nogales, Ariz., from Nogales, Mexico, is one of them.
NOGALES — You might not expect to find Main Street USA smack on the United States-Mexico border, but here it is.
The headlines make us wonder: Are we talking about the same city?
Nogales, Arizona, whose name means “walnut trees” in Spanish, is said to have taken its name from the plentiful trees in the surrounding hills. It was previously known as Isaacson and the Line City. Here’s a snapshot of what the town was like in 1897.
Ruby, Ariz. in the late 1930s was a bustling place, with hundreds of men down in the ground pulling more lead and zinc out of the earth than at any other mining operation in Arizona.
It's called 'Dental Tourism', and according to national research group 'Patients Beyond Borders', in 2014 alone, more than half a million Americans are expected to head to places like Costa Rica, the Phillipines, India and, of course, Mexico, all to get a deal on dental work.
Many city officials are still worried, though. Tourists have always represented flesh and blood evidence of the town’s commercial and historical ties to the United States. As such, the importance of visitors from the North may be as much symbolic as it is economic.
Outdoor access in Santa Cruz County is as a big a draw as the weather as they prepared a bike rack for a ride they had planned for the afternoon.
When Maria Nuñez moved into her house on Potrero Avenue five years ago, the previous owner gave her a photo of the residence with 1930s-era cars parked out front, a token of the house’s historic status.
In 1905, Ephraim built the Ephraim building on his tent site at 114 Morley Avenue, just one block from the U.S.-Mexico border. He also created Nogales' first water company, welcoming the boom era of Nogales that led to incorporation of a formal city, the 5th largest in Arizona at the time.