Santa Cruz County is home to over a dozen different ghost towns, mostly dating back to the mining heydays between 1880 and 1930. Today, some ghost towns in the area have mining remants and other evidences of life from over 100 years ago. Many are on private property and access is limited. More detailed information can be found at ghosttowns.com .
Alto: Alto was founded in 1907 and abandoned in 1933. There were a few hundred residents and gold was the mainstay. Scattered ruins today.
Calabasas: Calabasas was established in 1866 and abandoned in 1913. It was a Papago Indian village, US military base, mining camp, and more. Limited ruins remain today.
Canelo: Canelo was established in 1904 and abandoned in 1924. It was on the route from Patagonia to Parker Canyon Lake. Ruins include an old school house.
Casa Blanca: Little is known of this location located just north and east of Patagonia.
Crittenden: This town started in the 1860’s with a rail depot and significant mining activity. It was abandoned by 1900. Ruins include an old hotel.
Duquesne: Duquesne was established in 1880 and abandoned in 1920. It was a mine town and was the rumored home of George Westinghouse. Mining and school house ruins remain. Public not welcome.
Harshaw: Harshaw was established in 1880 and abandoned in 1903. It was home to the Hermosa mine and up to 30 saloons, hotels, stores, and more. Private property.
Kentucky Camp: Kentucky Camp was abandoned by 1886 when gold was exhausted. A 1904 revival never happened. Many ruins stand today and is being restored. Public is welcome.
Lochiel: Lochiel was established in 1880 and abandoned in 1911. Pancho Villa liked to cattle rustle at this old border crossing. Many ruins remain. Public not welcome.
Mowry: Mowry was operating as a Mexican mine since before 1857. It changed hands many times before being abandoned in 1913. Ruins include a small cemetery and adobe rubble.
Old Glory: Old Glory was established in 1895 and abandoned in 1915. It served many mines with a justice of the peace, store, and more. Ruins include mining remnants.
Oro Blanco: Oro Blanco was established in 1879 and abandoned in 1915. This mining town even had a dentist. The richest man in Arizona at the time was rumored to have lived here. Mining ruins remain. Public not welcome.
Ruby: Ruby is one of the best preserved ghost towns in Arizona. It was established in 1912 and abandoned in 1941. Access is limited and a fee is required. Click here for more information about Ruby.
Salero: Salero was established in 1884 and abandoned in 1890, but the mine was active since before 1857. Many well preserved buildings remain today. Private property.
Tubac: Tubac is Arizona’s oldest European settlement and is the site of Arizona’s first newspaper. A State Historical Park museum marks the site and provides valuable information.
Washington Camp: Washington Camp was established in the 1880’s and abandoned in 1920. Its population peaked in 1905 at 5,200 miners and families. It had a school and stores. Ruins include numerous buildings.
World’s Fair Mine: This was a significant mine operation, but it is likely the terrain prevented the establishment of real settlement. Major mining ruins remain.
Yank’s Spring: This was an unsuccessful ranch effort by two men: Yank and Hank. A Forest Service sign details the account located at the entrance to Sycamore Canyon.