777 N. Grand Ave, Nogales, AZ, 85621 | 520-287-6571 | Contact Us |
As part of our ongoing effort to minimize the spread of COVID-19, the City of Nogales is closed to the public, except by appointment only. Call (520)287-6571 for more information on continued services.

Impound Information

If your vehicle has been impounded recently, you probably have many questions related to that circumstance. The following is a list of Frequenlty Asked Questions and their respective anwers. We hope this information assists you throughout this process.

Impound F.A.Q's

  • Why was my vehicle impounded

    • The driver is in an accident with no insurance
    • Suspended, cancelled or revoked license
    • Extreme DUI
    • Aggravated DUI
    • Under legal drinking age and has alcohol in their body
  • How long will my vehicle be impounded

    • 30 days by law
    • You may be eligible to have your car released sonner, such as if you get your license status reinstated by the Motor Vehicle Division or the Court.
    • If your vehicle was impounded by another law enforcement agency, such as the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Office or the Department of Public Safety, you must contact that agency directly for assistance in obtaining the release of your vehicle
    • If your vehicle was impounded as evidence of a crime these procedures DO NOT apply to you. Please contact the NPD Detective handling your case for additional information.
  • How do I get my vehicle back

    On or after the 30th day of impound OR if you get your license reinstated, your vehicle will generally be eligible for release to you. To get it back, follow these steps:

    Call 520-287-9111 to request a Post Storage Hearing.

    At the time of your hearing you must:

    Bring with you a VALID driver license, VALID vehicle insurance and VALID vehicle registration.

    Please note that you may have to go to court or the Motor Vehicle Division first if your license was suspended, revoked or cancelled, and/or if your vehicle registration was expired or cancelled.

    We cannot release your vehicle to you until these documents are valid and current.

    NOTE – if your driving privileges cannot be restored by the end of the 30-day impound period (for example, it has been suspended for one year), you may bring a fully licensed driver with you to drive the car upon release. You must still have a valid vehicle registration and insurance before the vehicle will be released.

    You must pay an administrative fee of $150 to the City of Nogales. Payment must be in the form of Mastercard, Visa, or money-order ONLY.

    Upon payment of the fee you will be given a release form that you must take to the towing company.

    At the towing company, you must pay the towing and storage fees. Payment is made directly to the towing company by cash, credit card or debit card. If you come to the tow yard at other than normal business hours, you may be charged a gate fee. You must also present proof of your identity and ownership to the tow company.

    If you do not claim your vehicle when it is available for release the towing company will file for abandoned title to the vehicle.

  • To whom can the vehicle be returned

    • Owner
    • Spouse
    • Agent
    • Lien Holder
  • What if someone other than the owner was driving the vehicle when it was impounded

    The owner may be able to get the vehicle back prior to the 30-day period, usually by signing an agreement with the Police Department. The owner of the vehicle is still responsible for paying all fees and charges in order to have the vehicle released. If someone else was driving, you may have to seek civil action against the driver for any expenses you incur as a result of the impound.

  • What will happen if I cannot claim my vehicle

    If you do not claim your vehicle when it is eligible for release, the towing company will automatically file a request with the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division to assume title of your vehicle. The towing company would then become the legal owner of the vehicle and may salvage or auction it. If you have difficulty in paying for the towing and storage, you should at least contact the towing company if you wish to retain ownership of your vehicle.
  • At the end of the 30-days, can I just go to the towing company and get my vehicle

    No, the towing company is not allowed to release an impounded vehicle without paperwork from the Nogales Police Department. You must follow the claim process outlined above.
  • When may I request a hearing

    Hearings may be requested by calling 520-287-9111 at any time during the 30 day period.
  • If I am found "not guilty" of criminal or traffic charges, will that affect the impound of my vehicle

    No. As long as the officer impounded your vehicle according to the law and our procedures, the outcome of any trial is not relevant
  • 1

Court Basic Information

  • Can I make an online payment?

    Yes! Click on the link to take you to the online portal City Court Payments Page

  • Can I get an extension over the phone?

    No. The Nogales Municipal Court does not grant extensions of any kind over the phone. Please visit us at 777 N. Grand Ave, Nogales, AZ, 85621
  • Can someone come in to make a payment for me?

    Yes, they will need your name and date of birth.
  • Can I make a payment over the phone

    Yes. Please call 1-855-741-7787
  • What if I can't make it to the court on my court date?

    If you have a criminal case and you fail to appear, it may result in a warrant being issued for your arrest and incurring additional fees. If you have civil charges and fail to appear, your driving privileges may be suspended and you may incur additional fees. You may either file a written motion to continue a court date or come in during the courts&squot; walk-in hours.
  • Can I change my court date?

    Changes of court dates will not be handled over the phone. You may file a written motion to continue a court date or come in during the courts&squot; walk-in hours. See about scanning in motion to continue here.
  • When can I see a judge?

    Walk-in hours are between 8:30 - 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday excluding holidays. Warrants may be quashed Monday through Thursday during Walk-in hours.
  • What's an abstract?

    An abstract is the paperwork the court provides to the Motor Vehicle Department that lifts the request to suspend the driver’’s license. An abstract is produced when all sanctions/fines/fees are paid in full. Abstracts are valid only from the specific court that requested the hold to be placed on the driver’’s license. Nogales Municipal Court can only issue an abstract on cases filed in Nogales Municipal Court. You may obtain an abstract from the court to take to MVD for immediate clearance or the court will send an abstract to MVD through our normal course of business.
  • Where is the court located?

    777 N. Grand Avenue in Nogales, Arizona located 2 blocks South of the Highway 82 turnoff to Patagonia.
  • 1
  • 2


  • What do I need to do to have a record checked?

    Your request must be put into writing and there will be a research fee of $17.00 that will need to be paid before the court can begin the research (A.R.S. 22-404B). The court will then research the court documents/records for your request.
  • What do I do when I have been summoned for jury service?

    Follow the instructions that are on your summons form. You may also contact the Court Clerk/Jury Commissioner's Office at (520)285-5669
  • What if I am not available on my jury date?

    You may request one postponement of your service for up to 120 days. This can be done by calling the Court Clerk/Jury Commissioner's Office at (520)285-5669
  • How do I get excused from jury duty?

    Please call the Court Clerk/Jury Commissioner's Office at (520) 285-5669. Excuses are not granted on the basis of religion or moral beliefs, status or business proprietors, or profession. Excuses may be granted for those who do not read, write or understand English and for those who suffer from a severe physical or mental illness.
  • What if my employer does not permit me to be absent due to jury duty?

    The law states (A.R.S. Section 21-236) that an employer shall not refuse to permit an employee to take leave of absence from employment for the purpose of serving as a juror or dismiss an employee because of juror service. However, an employer is not required by law to pay employee's their regular salary or wage when on jury service. Please check you employer's policy.
  • Is the Nogales Municipal Court the same as the Justice Court

    No, we’re not the same. The Justice Court is located at 2160 North Congress Drive. Their phone number is (520)375-7761.
  • 1


  • What if I can't pay the day the fines/fees are imposed?

    After your court appearance you must go to JEU. You will be required to undergo a financial review process. You will need to complete the financial application and then go thru a screening process with one of the JEU representatives to discuss possible payment arrangements. Payment arrangements are not guaranteed. When payment arrangements are established there will be an additional $20 assessed for the time payment fee.
  • What if I do not pay in full or appear at JEU, the day the fines/fees are imposed?

    If you do not pay in full or appear at JEU the day the fines/fees are imposed the court may issue a warrant for you arrest on criminal charges and assess an additional $100.00 warrant fee. On civil charges, the court may send a default notification to MVD requesting suspension of your driving privileges for each violation and an additional $50.00 default fee will be assessed to each violation.
  • I am currently on a payment plan and now have new fines/fees to pay; will my scheduled payment be increased.

    It is possible that your payments may increase to accommodate the additional fines/fees assessed. The increase will be determined during the financial screening process with a JEU representative.
  • What if I am unable to make my scheduled payment?

    If you are unable to make you scheduled payment, you must appear at JEU no later than 5pm on your payment due date to request a financial review for a possible extension. You will be required to by complete a new financial application and undergo the financial review process. You must appear in person to request an extension on your payment arrangements. The court requires all defendants appear in court and sign all applicable documents.
  • I need an extension on my payment arranges. Am I required to complete the financial application again?

    Each time an extension is requested a new financial application must be completed but the requirement may be waived. This enables the court to understand what circumstances have changed since the last financial review and why the extension is being requested.
  • I am unable to make this month's payment. Can I double up on next month's payment to make up the missed payment?

    You must appear at JEU to complete a financial application and go thru the financial review process. In the event you skip a payment and do not work out an acceptable extension with the court, you run the risk of a warrant being issued for your arrest or having your driver’s license suspended.
  • I have a warrant for my arrest for failure to pay. Can I have my payment arrangement reset and have the warrant canceled?

    You must pay in full or appear in court before a Judge before the warrant is canceled.
  • I had my license suspended for failure to pay. Can I have my payment arrangement reset to have my license reinstated?

    You must pay in full or appear in court before a Judge to receive a clearance for your driver’s license suspension.
  • 1

City of Nogales

Nogales, AZ is a great little place to be and is where you’re among friends.

Mayor Arturo Garino

Contact Us

  Contact Forms
  777 N. Grand Ave
   Nogales, AZ, 85621

Keep in Touch